Friday, January 28, 2011

Snowshoe Slog

Today was another lunch time run and it was a killer. After the recent dumping of white stuff on southern new england (grafton received 13.5 inches), the trails were thoroughly covered excluding the main trail. Initially, the idea of running in snowshoes was to train is some moderate powder that "hopefully" would be broken out for me. Boy was I wrong. I took the first spur trail off the main and noticed my run slowly becoming a jog, then a fast hike, then a walk. I walked for about 10 minutes of the 47 minute run and couldn't be happier.

I mixed both running and walking during the first spur trail because I simply had to. The snow was too damn deep and my legs and lungs were yelling at me. Good thing this trail only lasted about 3/4 of a mile and then it was back to a partially packed trail for the remainder of the run.



All in all it was a tough run for only being 47 minutes. Those first ten minutes really took a toll on me and my body, as I was no where close to my average snowshoe pace. A good training run to say the least, as I am gearing up for the Fells Ultra in March, which may or may not have snow involved. This is new england...it could be 90 and humid by then. Who knows!

No comments:

Post a Comment