Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Tecnica Inferno X-Lite Shoe Review




Fast. Nimble. Your next 10k trail race shoe. The Inferno X-Lite won't let you down when it comes to smooth rail trail grade or mixed rock scrambles up on the mountain. After putting 150 miles on the X-Lites, these shoes look and feel like new. Zero wear or tear, even after mud sloshing, puddle jumping and even some road jarring workouts.




Tecnica describes the X-Lite as "the ultimate ultra-light, semi-oversized trail runner" which I would completely agree with. After putting over 2,000 miles in the Tecnica Diablo's, the Inferno X-Lite feels lighter (295 grams vs 350 grams) and more reactive than its bulkier cousin.



Less weight on your feet is a good thing, but what sold me was the breathability and comfort. The Inferno X-Lite features a breathable aero mesh and an asymmetrical quick lace system that really hugs your foot.


I was slightly skeptical of the lacing systems upon arrival, but after numerous runs of 45 minutes to an hour and half, the quick lace system stayed tight and I never had to worry.


The Inferno X-Lite uses the same TRS (Tecnica Rolling System) platform as the Diablo's to "keep you going longer, faster, and safer". After using the X-Lites on rocky terrain on Wachusett Mountain, flat packed stone dust at the local rail trail and even on the pavement, the TRS system will make sure you're moving in the right direction. And fast!


The X-Lite felt a little loose right out of the box for my size 10, but after a few shake-out runs, I found out I needed to tighten the quick lace system considerably to get a solid fit. I thought this might put unwanted stress on the top of my foot, but in reality, it did not and actually snugged my heel up quite a bit.


The Inferno X-Lite's can be found in three colors, the red (as pictured in this review), black, and grey.

Some major PRO's for the Inferno X-Lite:
  • Breathability 
  • Fit (true to size)
  • Ability to adjust lacing system
  • Overall appearance
  • Durability
Some major CON's for the Inferno X-Lite:
  • Lug depth
  • Not a good rainy day trail runner (due to lugs)
  • Loss of cushion after 200 miles
Overall, the Tecnica Inferno X-Lite ( $110.00 USD)  are great shoe for a typical one hour training run or a short distance trail race in which you looking to break a PR. They provide solid support on the rocky and rooty terrain I've encountered here in New England and excellent cushion needed for the dreaded road pounding workouts . Would I wear the Inferno X-Lite for a 4-hour training run, probably not. But if you see me out on the trails with them on, I'll guarentee you won't be seeing me for long!!





2 comments:

  1. Hey Justin, tremendous finish at VT 100 ! I saw the results. Looking forward to seeing a report on here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Shane! A report is in the works.

    ReplyDelete