Wednesday, March 21, 2012

List's

I'm a list oriented type of guy. Checking things off gives me a sense of accomplishment. I've come to the conclusion that if I want to start incorporating strength and flexiblity into my exercise regiming, I need to create a weekly list like this:

  • Runs - 7x/week
    • Easy
    • Tempo (Road)
    • Easy
    • Tempo
    • Hill
    • Long
    • Easy
  • Strength training session - 2x/week
    • Session 1
    • Session 2
  • Flexibility/Recovery training - 2x/week
    • Yoga, Foam Roll, Massage Therapy, Trigger Point Therapy
    • Yoga, Foam Roll, Massage Therapy, Trigger Point Therapy
  • Cross Training - 1x/week
    • Floor Hockey, Badminton, Basketball etc...
Still need to tinker with my strength session workouts. I have a few good ideas, just need to condense the time into 30 minutes or less.

Here is what I got so far:

Warm-up with 3 rounds of:
  • 15-20 OHS with PVC
  • 25 Push-ups/body squats
  • 1 min plank
Session 1:
  • Front Squats 3x8
  • Farmer's Walk 3x100yds
Session 2:
  • Tabata Front Squats
  • Core Training

2 comments:

  1. I'd say ditch the tabata front squats. I'm telling you that the first time you do them you'll see what I mean. You probably won't be able to run right for 4 days. I'd say instead look into doing some kind of dynamic effort front/back squat on the 2nd day, like a 2-2-2-2-2-2-2 style with 60 second rest, emphasizing explosion out of the hole. This way you can develop more explosive power for your legs and continue to develop your squat numbers at the same time. The high reps and light weight of the tabata is going to give you severe DOMS and not even make you much stronger anyway, if at all.

    Just my opinion obviously but I think the tabata front squats is too much to do with the goals you have and training that you do, plus after the first 2 or 3 times you do it I think it will lose it's benefit and you will stop doing it, rightly so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. good input dude. too much dan john on the brain i guess. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete