Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Slow Down There Fella

I've been reading some literature lately concerning elite runners and their recovery runs. Many of them run sub 5 and 6 minute miles during the intense runs and recover anywhere between 9 and 10 minute miles. I am nowhere close to 5 minutes (rather high 6's and low 7's) and, as I look back, run my easy runs too fast. Most seem to be around high 8's or low 9 minute miles. Today I was attempting to do a easy recovery run somewhere between 9 and 10 minute miles.

I did a loop I'm familiar called the barbara jean loop. It has rolling hills with one large (barbara jean) and one small (bruce) hills. I tried to keep it slow but not slow enough i think. My pace for the 7.4 miles was 8:47/mile and a total time of 1:04.

I guess i need to slow it down a bit, but it felt like i was trotting/jogging. Maybe i just need to get it through my head that slow/recovery run means "slow the hell down".

We'll see how the legs feel tomorrow when I punish them like Tuesday. Looking to run the gazebo twice with a negative split.

Just received four new hand held water bottles in the mail. I got them from zombierunner.com and they are the ultimate direction brand. I have heard only good things about this bottle. Many of mine that i have been using are either leaking or the mouth piece is loose.

No comments:

Post a Comment